Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Letter To a Jerk; Culmination of a Crazy Summer

I wrote this after an email I received last night from the guy who charged me rent all winter for a pice of shit building that leaked and was full of his stuff, and never told the landowners that he was renting the property.

To Jimmy:

The email I just read had the tone of a shakedown. Not too cool.

Our deal was a month to month deal, and as far as I am concerned ended as soon as the OWNER of the property told me not to pay you when she realized that you had been renting to me since January and not telling her about it. When they pulled up they told me that they thought you were running a convenience store and were totally surprised at my presence. I was then told "not to give you another dime." So, until Antoinette Contalbiano tells me herself anything different that is how I stand. I don't think that interferes whatsoever with your relationship and or verbal agreement with them about the property.

As far as I understand, they still have every intention of honoring your agreement in terms of the 10% of selling price if and when the building sells.

The date of my exit depends on my current negotiations with Antoinette about a year-long lease. If I am staying, then I will be open until Columbus day, if not then I will have to figure that out.

How could you have a renter committed to something that you don't know about. I'm really confused. You rented me the space in January, charged me $350 a month for about 50 square feet of space because your property nearly filled the entire contents of the building. The deal was that any work I did on the jobs listed would come out of the rent. I put 20 plus hours into tiling the floor, built a sink and connected the plumbing, sewed six custom roman shades, put over 30 hours into finishing the plaster work and repainted. I never did the basement work because it was never going to work, and because there were never any materials provided to get the job done. I never got a hot water heater because I never needed one. That was to come out of the rent if I did, it wasn't a requirement of me renting.

What I have done with the building is by far the best thing that has happened to it since it was a gift-shop in the early nineties. I have heard it from every person in the community, and how happy they are that I am there. If you, as in you and Antoinette, weren't so insane you would realize that I have a good thing going on and you would do everything in your power to keep me there. Instead, I got emails and drunk texts on the verge of threatening me.

What do you mean, “if you don't answer ...i will be there.... a lot more.”?????
That was a quotation from your email, so you’re saying, had I not gone home and checked my email tonight, and seen this, and not answered you, that you will be at my shop…. With “a lot more.”???? What the fuck, are you insane???

If you’re the property manager call the owner and ask her to tell me to pay you instead of her, and I’ll cut you a check for August rent minus the water bill, $30/ hour for the plumbing, $20 hour for the tile work, plus materials, and $40/hour for the custom window treatments, plus materials.

I don’t understand why this has to be shady, and why you and the two Toni/y’s can’t just be straight. All I’ve ever wanted was a straight relationship and agreement. June was tough for me, but I paid it although a little late, as any renter would have, and there are normal guidelines and laws that regulate this type of activity.

I appreciate the opportunity, and experience that I’ve had here, and owe a lot of that to our chance meeting and serendipity, but you’ve never really been straight with me about anything from the get go in terms of your relationship with Antionette and the building, and you weren’t quite straight with the hot dog people, and they lost a huge investment. You keep getting people to take all of the risk in hopes that you’re going to get something out of it and never risk anything yourself. I put myself out there, and now it seems like you’re trying to muscle me out, and I just want to say that when you’re a straight shooter, and don’t have anything that anyone can call you on, then you never have to worry about anyone calling you on your shit. It’s really what karma boils down to, and I’d like you to know that I’m not worried about being called on any of my shit because all I’ve done is worked my fucking ass off and obeyed the letter of the law and all of the agreements that I have made with the various people that have been involved with this endeavor.

So, I hope you come. I have cleaned the back so that you can show it to your prospective buyer. I thank you for the notice, although a phone call would have insured that I got it. I will have a check for you for your consigned glasses and bracelets, but I would like to terminate our consigning arrangement and ask you to remove your wares from the store as well, and request that you not treat me like a douche. I’m fucking sick of it.

Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment